28th anniversary of Ukraine’s independence is celebrated annually on August 24 to commemorate the day when the Parliament declared the country fully independent of the Soviet Union in 1991. The people and government of Ukraine mark the day by honoring the men and women who fought and sacrificed their lives for freedom.
1. Ukraine is a democratic country
4. Communism is now a thing of the past
5. Ukrainian has more rights and freedoms than duties
6. Ukrainians are determined and self-devoted
7. Ukraine takes care of its heroes
That is why the citizens of our country breathed new meaning into the concept of volunteering, which began on our Maidan (since 2001, when the Kuchmahate action swept through the country) and continued at the front.
8. Ukraine’s army is among the top strongest in Europe
Actually, the Ukrainian army, which consists of both professional military and volunteers, and which is actively supported by our volunteers, is a separate subject for pride. Our fighters confront the strongest European army in the east. But, by the way, in 2018, our Armed Forces were among the European top ten. Only Russia, France, UK, Turkey, Germany, Italy, Spain, Poland, and Greece are ahead of us.
9. Ukraine has won world support
10. Ukraine has chosen the pro-EU and pro-NATO way
Ukraine has made an application for membership in the European Union by signing the Association Agreement with the EU. Our country is also moving towards NATO membership. The importance of these two world institutions is difficult to overestimate.
11. Ukraine has a visa-free regime with the EU
12. Obtaining a Ukrainian passport is easier than obtaining citizenship of another state
13. 41 – 45 million people speak Ukrainian
14. Ukraine is developing and implementing a policy of gender equality
15. Ukrainian women have right for abortions
16. There is no death penalty in Ukraine
17. Ukraine expands the rights and freedoms for the citizens
18. Ukraine is a secular state
19. Ukrainian temples are the most stunning in the world
20. Ukraine has a very beneficial geopolitical location
21. Ukraine is a world granary
22. Ukraine has a rich history
23. Many Ukrainians are the steely-eyed men of science
24. The power of sport that we believe in
25. Our culture is a treasure
26. Our contemporaries are the point of proud
Ukraine has amazingly talented contemporaries. So, thanks to the artworks of Ivan Marchuk, the British newspaper The Daily Telegraph in 2007 introduced his name to the list of one hundred geniuses of our time. In Europe, the masters of the Ukrainian word are also famous – Yuriy Andrukhovych, Serhiy Zhadan, Maria Matios, Andriy Kurkov, Irene Rozdobudko, and others.
27. Ukrainian embroidery conquers the world fashion
28. Ukraine is very picturesque
Ukraine has a very beautiful nature and extremely powerful opportunities for the development of tourism, because so many natural landscape zones as in Ukraine are found in almost no European country: two seas, Crimea, mountains of the Carpathians and Crimean mountains, forests, canyons, Europe’s only desert is Oleshkivsky Sands, Askania-Nova Steppe Reserve, Shatsk Lakes and the like.
Happy Birthday, Ukraine!